Friday, November 13, 2015

Thanksgiving Essentials

Wearing

With only two weeks remaining until Thanksgiving it's time to start planning what I'm wearing and most importantly what I'm going to eat and drink!  I'm headed up to Northern PA to my in-laws' lake house and can't wait to sit by the fireplace, take walks around the lake, and wear my pajamas til afternoon.

Since this is a casual Thanksgiving there won't be a need to dress up.  I'm ordering a couple of fitted Scotch plaid flannel shirts and will pair one of them with navy ponte travel pants and matching Ferragamo Varinas.  A fun chunky pearl necklace will make the look a little more special.


Eating

Last year Jason and I hosted both our families and some friends for Thanksgiving.  It was our first time having both sets of parents at the new condo we purchased.  I had a great time cooking and having a long galley kitchen is perfect for prep.  This year my mother in-law will do most of the cooking, but I wanted to include some recipes that are my staples and would make a lovely addition to a Thanksgiving menu.


Recipe by Giada De Laurentiis


Such a delicious soup!  Make sure to include the crostini with it.  To make the squash easier to handle, halve it first and roast in the oven until tender than scoop the flesh out and add it when the recipe directs.

Recipe by Tyler Florence


You can find pomegranate molasses in the Middle Eastern aisle of the grocery store, but if your store doesn't have it you can just reduce pomegranate juice down until it is a syrup.  

Recipe by Ina Garten


The addition of two onions makes this gravy something special.

Recipe by Ina Garten


The best mashed potatoes.  Sometimes I add half and half or heavy whipping cream instead of the whole milk.

Recipe by Cooks Illustrated


Not your traditional canned green bean casserole.  You make a homemade cream of mushroom soup for this recipe.  It's worth the effort.

Recipe by Food Network Kitchen


This is probably my favorite potato recipe.  Make sure to have a mandolin if you're making this

By Ina Garten


So much easier than dealing with a whole turkey and it's only the white meat!


Drinking

I like to have a variety wines at the ready for Thanksgiving and a great cocktail to start things off.  This year I'm going to pick up a nice gin and some fancy tonic water so I can mix up aperitifs.  I like the Fever Tree tonic waters, but if I can find it I prefer the Q tonic water in the small cans.

As far a wine selection is concerned I like to leave it to the experts at my local wine stores.  DC has numerous wine shops with fantastic selections, but my favorites are Schneider's, Calvert Woodley, and Weygandt Wines.  We'll be bringing a crisp, almost effervescent white, a dry rose, and a lush French red.

Bringing

Williams and Sonoma has the most beautiful copper wine coaster.  I gave one to my mother last Christmas, and she went back to purchase an additional one.  It would make the perfect hostess gift.


Have a fabulous weekend!




No comments:

Post a Comment