Friday, November 20, 2015

Lately

The weather has finally shifted in DC and it feels like fall is here.  I can't believe that I was in sunny Hawaii just a couple of weeks ago!  I'll be doing a post soon on a recap of the trip and also a more in depth one on my stay at Ritz Carlton in Kapalua (it was amazing!).  Last weekend I had a great dinner with friends at Bobby Vans.  The highlight was when the waiter carted out a 4 pound prime rib and carved it tableside.  We ended the evening at the bar at the St. Regis which is a cozy place for a nightcap.  We tried for Off the Record at the Hay Adams but it was packed after a wedding reception.  I've never seen it that busy before!

Friday night I made Ina's chicken pot pie.  I like to have some meals stowed away in the freezer for when I just don't have the energy to cook and after our long trip home from Hawaii it was great to be able to just defrost the filling which I had made a month prior.  This recipe makes a huge amount and you can alter the vegetables to whatever you prefer.  You can do a pie crust or puff pastry to top it.  I used Trader Joe's pie crust this time, but have also made the recipe that goes along with it and done puff pastry in the past.  If you're doing puffed pastry make sure to purchase the Pepperidge Farm brand and don't cook the crust on top of the pot pie filling.  Flip the dishes that you plan on using over the puff pastry and trace the dough out.  Bake on a separate sheet and top the bowls containing the filling when they come out of the oven.  




The past couple of years I've had my eye on some cute plaid shirts, but they sell out so quickly as the holidays approach.  I snagged three this week and can't wait to wear them this winter!



L.L. Bean/J. Crew Factory/L.L. Bean


I've been looking for some fun costume jewelry to pair with my outfits for upcoming Christmas parties and have narrowed my search down to some beautiful earrings and a statement pearl necklace.


Tonight I'm planning on having a relaxing night in making cauliflower soup and drinking rose while catching up on the season finale of Below Deck.  Tomorrow we have a couple friends' birthdays so we will be out on the town for the evening.  Sunday I have a monthly brunch book club that I attend with friends.  The book is The Lowland and I'm bringing Ina's caesar salad.


Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment