Monday, October 26, 2015

Weekend Recap

I started off the weekend at the University Club with some friends. Once a month the club hosts a classic cinema cafe which shows old movies. It's held in one of the ballrooms with an open bar, and you order dinner to be served during the movie. It's such a relaxing evening and one of my favorite events that they host.
Saturday Jason and I celebrated something we have coined "fakeaversary." Even though we've been married two years we still celebrate the date that we started dating with a nice dinner and some great wine. Jason has taken it upon himself to cook for it, but I get to choose the recipes and offer some supervision. He made a delicious roasted chicken and potatoes from Bon Appetit that cooks for three hours which makes the meat very tender. As a side we made The Palm's recipe for creamed spinach. It's a fabulous recipe and quite easy to make.


While the chicken was cooking we enjoyed a cheese and charcuterie board. There's an Italian deli in DC called Vace's which is a great place to go to buy cured meats. I especially like their spicy soppressata.
Jason picked up this wine to go with dinner. Apparently, this vineyard borders a famous vineyard so you're getting basically the same wine for a fraction of the price.
I was surprised with some cookbooks that I had been eyeing. Zahav is written my two restaurateurs that own several popular places in Philadelphia. I'm looking forward to exploring this as I don't have any experience with Israeli cooking. My Kitchen Year was written by the editor of the now shuttered Gourmet magazine as a way of coping with the loss of the publication.
Sunday I headed to Eastern Market to celebrate a friend's birthday with brunch and football watching at a local bar called Tunnicliffs. They make a delicious bloody mary! I ended my weekend sampling cookies Jason brought from a dinner he had at David Chang's newly opened Momofuku and Milk Bar. Everything lived up to the hype, and I can't wait to go back and try the stuffed buns.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah! Just saw your first post...welcome to blogging!! Glad you started one, but be careful because, as I've found, it can be quite addicting LOL

    Melissa | So About What I Said

    ReplyDelete